Useful Links | Link Exchange

Looking Tour branches and Tour Franchisee for operating Kerala Tours & Travels in all major Cities in India & abroad, We are looking fresh graduates, unemployed, retired persons, part time employee for this project, can contact in Kerala, C. E. O Mr.Switen George.. Mob: 0091 98473 25 0 26

Red Carpet of Kerala | Location and Contact | Month of Product | Holidays & Activities | Month of Cuisine | Project & Investment | Jobs

Home | About Us | Return Taxi | Forum | Photo Gallery | Video Gallery | News & Events | Climate | Currency converter | Distance Chart

1
Red Carpet of Kerala
 Alleppey
 Calicut
 Cochin
 Idukki
 Kottayam
 Kannoor
 Kasargod
 Kollam
 Malappuram
 Palakkad
 Pathanamthitta
 Trichur
 Trivandrum
 Wynad

 

District of Kerala :: Kannoor (Cannanore)

Air: The nearest airport is at Karipur, Calicut, about 93 km south.  Further south is the Cochin airport 317 km away.

Rail: Cannanore(kannur) railway station is an important railhead of the Southern Railway and is well linked to major towns upcountry as well as within the state.

Road
: Cannanore (kannur)   is also accessible by road.

Beedis, Handlooms and History
This seacoast town in the northern Malabar area was for many centuries the capital of the Kolathiri Rajas, the rivals of the Zamorins of Calicut. The Arabs and the Persians knew its importance as a premier port of ancient Kerala. Marco Polo is supposed to have referred to Cannannore (kannur)   as great emporia of spices. In the 15the century the Portuguese arrived in Cannanore (known as Kannur in Malayalam) to establish one of their earliest settlements. A reminder of this is the St. Angelo’s Fort built in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy. It is still a landmark of Cannanore. (Kannur)   Cannanore’s (Kannur)    history abounds with the activities of colonial powers. The Dutch captured the portugueses factory built by Cabral in 1501 in 1663. In 1708 the British built a fort at Tellichrey, just outside Cannanore. The French developed the nearby town of Mahe as a trading centre in the 18the century. Around 1792, after the Mysore wars, the British took over Cannanore. Today Cannanore (Kannur)     is known for its handloom and beedi industries. Some of Keral’s finest weavers come from this district, though these days their skills are not in as much demand as before. For a free show of enchanting theyyam, the traditional ritual dance of north Kerala, head for the Parassinikadavu Temple, where every evening there are performances. More importantly, entry into the temple for the teyyam shows is allowed for non-Hindus too. This is unlike other temples in Kerala. For a touch of history, one should visit the St. Angelo’s Fort, a huge triangular structure built with laterite with a ditch and strong flanking bastions. The Dutch captured the fort from the Portuguese in 1663 and sold it to Ali Raja of (Kannur) Cannonore in 1772. The British in turn captured it in 1790. They rebuilt it and made it the most important military base in Malabar for their soldiers during the British colonial rule.

Chirakkal, 6 km from Cannanore(Kannur)   , is where the kolathiri Raja lived. Malik Ibn Dinar built the famous 12the century mosque at Madayi, a village 22 km from Cannanore, with white marble said to have been brought from Arabia. The Madayi beach is also splendid.

About 55 km from Cannanore town (Kannur) , at a height of 885 feet, is Ezhimala, an isolated but conspicuous cluster of hills. At the foot of the hills are a cave and an old burial chamber. Farther up the hills is an ancient mosque where sculptured stone pillars can be seen. Ezhimala and its surrounding areas are also known for some rare medicinal herbs used in Ayurvedic formulations.

The English East India Company established its settlement on the Malabar Coast here in 1683. The Tellicherry Fort was built in the early 18the century. Between Tellicherry and Badagara is Mahe, a small and beautiful trading town on the west coast established by the French in the 17the century. It is under the administrative control of the union territory of Pondicherry and several historical hangovers of French influence are evident.

At Parassinikadavu, on the banks of the Valapatanam River, 18 km from Cannanore, is the Sri Muthappan temple, dedicated to Lord Muthappan, believed to be the incarnation of Lord Siva. This is the only temple in Kerala where theyyam, the ritual dance form of North Kerala, is performed daily. The temples nonconformist nature is also evident in the unusual custom of offering dried fish and toddy to the deity.

Visit the Truchabaram Vishnu Temple at Taliparambu. Said to date back to the 10th century, this temple offers sights of stonewalls, murals and woodcraft work. An easily accessible haunt for nature enthusiasts is the Aralam wildlife sanctury, 35 km from Tellicherry. Accommodation is available at lritty, near the sanctuary.

Kannur beckons Travellers
Kannur (Cannanore) Kannur is a land with a resonant past. Myths and legends abound. The ships of Solomon, they say: anchored along our coasts to collect timber for building the 'Temple of the Lord'. Kannur finds mention as NAURA in the 'Periplus of Erithrean Sea' a Greek work of great antiquity.

For long, local Rajas held sway over the land. The Kolathiris were based at Chirakkal. The Pazhassi Raja ruled from Kottayam in Tellicherry (Thalassery) taluk. The Beebi (queen) of Arakkal, Kerala's only Muslim Royal family controlled parts of the coast and even the Laccadive Islands.

The quest for spices lured several European powers to this land. The advent of the Portuguese (1498) marked the beginning. The Dutch and the English followed them. Fortifications at Thalassery and Fort St. Angelo attest to their arrival. Solemn Churches surrounded by mildewed grave stones also silently speak of the European presence.

The march of time has left his its imprints. Ancient monuments, mosques, temples and churches offer the visitor eloquent testimony of a rich cultural heritage. The Sri Rama Temple at Tellicherry traces its legends back to millennium or more! As early as the 7th century Malik Bin Dinar built the first mosques at Madayi & Dharmapattanam (Dharmadam).

Every time you visit a circus, think of Tellicherry, a small town around 20 km south of Cannanore. For it is from here that most of India’s circus artists come. German missionaries introduced the gymnastic tradition in schools here.

Dr. Hermann Gundert, Missionary of the Basel Mission and linguist arrived in Tellicherry (Thalassery) in 1839. Hermann Gundert compiled the first English-Malayalam dictionary. His was the first journal published in Malayalam. He had mastered 18 languages and prepared 18 books in Malayalam. His house (Gundert Bungalow) can be seen at Illikunnu in Thalassery.

A culture of thousands of years old
Kannur (Cannanore)  has always been a favorite destination of the intrepid foreign traveler. Europeans, Chinese and Arabs have visited our coasts. In his book of travels Marco Polo recounts his visit to the area circa 1250 A. D. Other visitors included Fahian, the Buddhist pilgrim and Ibn Batuta, writer and historian of Tangiers. The lure of the orient, the quest for spices or just the thirst for adventure attracted these distinguished visitor to Kannur(Cannanore). However, for the modern tourist, while these reasons may still hold good, there is also the added attraction of completely unwinding at some of the most scenic locations in the world.

Kannur(Cannanore)   has been since olden days, the cradle of ageless folk art and music. Even today, the myriads of Kavus (small shrines) which dot the district are centers of the Theyyam, a ritual dance in which men impersonate supernatural beings and indeed elevate Kannur (Cannanore)   to a land of fabulous fantasies

Theyyam
When the monsoon recedes, when the blue skies are clear and skies are clear of dark clouds, and the days hard work is done, drums resound from the villages, far and near. This is the season of Theyyam

Theyyam is the old ritual dance North Kerala and Kannur (Cannanore)   can be named as the birth place of Theyyam. It's a religion based ritual dance. Men get into colorful exotic dresses, paint themselves as Gods, Goddesses, devils, evil sprits and even diseases, and dance to drums and music throughout the night. There are about four hundred different kinds of Theyyams. Theyyam offers a fascinating and novel experience for your eyes. The Theyyam performance has an aura of divine splendor as its accompanied by rituals & other devotional hymns.

 

 

 

Kalaripayattu
Kalaripayattu is the ancient martial art of the State. Thalassery is the threshold of the Kalari Payattu. It is considered as the forerunner of Karate & Kung-fu. The Kalari is treated as the temple of learning. Age old traditions and customs are still practiced inside the Kalari religiously till today.The Gurukkal system consists of rigorous physical training besides training in self discipline. The weapons used were the sword, Dagger, Shield, short sticks, spears etc. The co-ordination of the body and mind is given maximum importance in this art.

 

Beaches in Kannur

Payyambalam Beach:
Payyambalam is the beach Kannur(Cannanore)    town. It is long and clean. Flat laterite cliffs just into the sea at one end. Picturesque and incredibly beautiful. The well laid out gardens and the massive landscaped sculpture of mother & child greet the visitor to Payyambalam. The beach is only walking distance from Fort St. Angelo.


 

 Muzhappilangad Beach:
Muzhappilangad is 15Km South of Kannur(Cannanore)    and only 8 Km from Thalassery. A long clean beach, its enchanting ambience invites you to swim, sunbathe, or just lounge around. Black rocks protect Muzhappilangad from the current of the deep, making its shallow water a swimmer's paradise. Muzhappilangad is arguably Kerala's only drive-in beach.
.

 

Mappila Bay:
This is situated near the St. Angelo's Fort. A fishing harbour built with Indo Norwegian project assistance. If the weather is favorable a ride in the sea will be a memorable experience. The remnants fort is still seen in Mappila bay.
Meenkunnu Beach:
Situated at Azhikode its hardly few kilometers from the town(Cannanore)   . The virgin beach is a tourist's paradise with golden sand & sur

Other Tourist Spots in Kannur

St.Angelo Fort:

Etched against the blue skylines, the imposing walls of the Fort St.Angelo remain as the monument to the Portuguese adventure on the Malabar Coast.

It is a seashore fort of Kannur(Cannanore)    Town. Don Francisco D Almedia, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India built the Fort in 1505 A.D. after obtaining the consent of the Kolathiri Raja. The Fort had a chequered history. It changed hands to the Dutch, then to the Ali Raja of Arakkal in 1772, and finally to the British in 1790. One of the important Military center of British in Malabar.

Today Fort St. Angelo is a protected monument under the Archaeologicl Survey of India. The barracks, the magazine, and its cannons are still intact and continue to enthrall visitors from far-flung places. The Fort also offers a vantage view of the picturesque Mappila Bay Harbour, and the Arakkal mosque (Arakkal Kettu).

Thalassery Fort:
Thalassery Fort 20 KM away from Kannur (Cannanore)   was built on 20th August 1708. It still remains, the sentinel to three hundred years of turbulent history. Relics of an age, long gone by surround the Fort and continue to fascinate visitors old and young alike.


 

Parassinikkadavu Temple:
18 KM north of Kannur (Cannanore)   on the banks of the Valapattanam River, in a setting of great natural beauty, stands the Shri Muthappan Temple at Parassinikkadavu. Steeped in legend, its all hallowed spot. Open to all, this is the only place where one can see Theyyam performed all around the year.

On the way to Parassinikkadavu temple is the Snake Park. The demonstration of snakes is held every hour at the Snake Park. Visitors can also enjoy a boat ride in the wide river opening up to the blue expanse of the sea ahead

 Dharmadam Island:
Beside the Muzhappilangad beach 100 metres offshore lies the Dharmadam island surrounded by rivers and sea. A conjunction of beach & island it is a matter of walk during low tied.

 

 

Pazhassi Dam:
37 KMs east of Kannur(Cannanore)    near Mattannur, the Pazhassi Dam and reservoir offers scenic vistas. One can cruise down the river in D.T.P.C (District Tourism Promotion Council) The recently built Gardens & Amusement park is an added attraction. Accommodation is available in the Project Inspection Bungalow and Dormitories.

 Ezhimala:
The Ezhimala Mountain and beach lie at the northern boundary of Kannur. Rare medicinal herbs grow on the strange seven-peaked range, that is Ezhimala, around 50 Kms from Kannur(Cannanore)   . There is an old tower of great antiquity here: the Mount Deli lighthouse. It is maintained by the Navy and is a restricted area.

 

Paithal Mala:
Beautiful, serene hill station near the Kerala - Karnataka border, 65 Kms. North of Kannur(Cannanore)   . It offers a challenging trekking to those inclined to stretch their legs. It's around 4,500 ft. above sea level. A base reception centre and a watch tower at top of the cliff are functioning for the benefit of tourists.

Aralam wild life sanctuary:
A tranquil mega sanctuary on the slopes of the Western Ghats covered with tropical and semi evergreen forests. Herds of deer, elephants, boar and bisons are quite common. Leopards, jungle cats, various type squirrels and rare species of birds have been found here. Around 160 species of birds have been found here. Certain species of birds, which are considered extinct, have also been found here. It is 35 kms from Thalassery Railway station.



Madayi Mosque

Malic Iben Dinar, a Muslim preacher, originally built this beautiful ancient mosque in 1124 AD. A block of white marble in the mosque is believed to have been brought from Mecca by its founder, who came to India to spread the word of the prophet. Near by dilapidated fort believed to have been built by Tipu Sultan: the ruler of Mysore.

Other famous spots:
Sri Subrahmanya Temple, Peralassery is situated on the Kuthuparamba route 15kms from Kannur. The main deity is a serpent a God. It is very popular in the entire Malabar.

Sri Sundareshwara Temple, Kannur and Jaganatha Temple, Thalassery are sanctified by the great saint and social reformer Sree Narayana Guru.

Other important temples include Kottiyur Temple, 65 kms. From Thalassery, Subrahmanya Swamy Temple at Payyanur, Kalarivatukal Temple near Valapattanam River and Sri Rama Temple at Thiruvangad, is one of the oldest Temple in Thalassery.

Arakkal Palace, 2 km. from Kannur (Cannanore)   Town, steeped in History; it was the Beebi (Queen) of Arakkal, Kerala's only Muslim Royal family that controlled parts of the coast and even Lakshadweep.

The Odathil Palli at Thalassery was built by the Portuguese and it is more than 200 years old.

The Holy Rosary church is the oldest Catholic Church in the district.

Revenue Reference Library: Nearly 3,500 old books and documents - majority of them dealing with British administration and affairs in Malabar and South India.

 
powered by Zone7Studios.com
© 2007 Coco Planet Tour Company. All rights reserved
Thank you very much for visiting www.Beautifulkerala.com home page for Kerala Travel & Tours , Kerala Realestate, Kerala Tourism Investment, Kerala Taxi , Kerala Holiday & activities, Kerala Cuisine ,Invest in Kerala beach / backwater Villa ,Kerala Forum, Kerala Job opportunities and get contact with us for your special needs.